Smiths Falls Town HallSmiths Falls Town Hall

Drinking Water

Water Treatment Plant

The treatment of drinking water in the Town of Smiths Falls began as a private enterprise in the 1800's & the first Water Commission operated the Water Treatment Plant (WTP) from 1900 to 2001.

The original WTP was located on the bank of the Rideau River between Old Mill Road & Beckwith Street and water was pumped from an intake pipe in the Rideau River upstream of the WTP.

Chlorination equipment was added to the treatment process in the 1920's, after a request from Department of Health.  A complete filtration plant was installed & in 1955 the filters capacity doubled. In 1987 a new intake line was installed from the WTP to an intake crib beyond the weir operated by Parks Canada.

An Environmental study performed in 2003 concluded that the new WTP located upstream of the old WTP which could reuse the existing intake. 

Construction & commissioning was completed on the New WTP in 2010.  The new WTP consists of an AquaDAF (which is a high rate dissolved air floatation clarifier), dual media filtration, ultraviolet (UV) disinfection, chlorination with chlorine gas, corrosion control, fluoridation, residue management & dechlorination.

Contacts

Sarah Cooke

Water/Wastewater Compliance Coordinator
613-283-4124 x5502
email

Ted Joynt

Water/Wastewater Operations Superintendent
613-283-4124 x5501
email

Address

43 Abbott St N,
Smiths Falls ON K7A 1W4

Downloads

This content was last updated on
Friday, September 28, 2012
All documents found on our website are also available in hard copy by contacting the Town Hall.
printable page