Information for Voters

Electors in the Town of Smiths Falls will be voting electronically in the 2022 Municipal Election, by internet or telephone. There will be no paper ballot.

A Voter Information Letter will be mailed directly to electors at the end of September/early October 2022, providing a voter with a PIN which will allow individuals to vote 24 hours a day for 10 days, from any telephone or any device connected to the internet.

There will be a Help Centre set up at the Town Hall where eligible voters may attend to seek assistance and vote by using one of the devices provided.

The Town Hall will also be open on Saturday October 22nd from 9 am until noon to provide access outside of the regular business hours to members of the public who would like to be added to the voters list or access the Help Center.


Eligible Voters are encouraged to ensure that they are on the voters list by calling or attending the Town Hall.  Anyone who needs to be added to the Voters List, must attend the Town Hall with the required identification to complete the necessary forms to be added.


Voting period begins October 14, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. through to October 24, 2022 at 8:00 p.m.

Election Day is October 24, 2022 and voting period ends at 8:00 p.m.


You can vote in the Smiths Falls municipal election if you are:

You may only vote once in the Town’s municipal election regardless of how many properties you own or rent in the town.

An owner or tenant of non-residential property, or his or her spouse, is not eligible to vote for School Board Trustee.

Post-Secondary Students

There is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school. If you are a student and consider your “home” to be the place where you live when you are not attending school, which means you plan on returning there, then you are eligible to vote in both your “home” municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.


You cannot vote on voting day if you are:


In order to vote in a school board election you must be 18 years of age or older, and a Canadian citizen. If you are a resident of the Township, you are eligible to vote for school board trustees. If you are the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner of tenant) of residential property in the Township, you are eligible to vote for school trustees. You are only allowed to vote for the same school board once.

If you are eligible to vote in a municipality because you are the owner or tenant (or spouse of an owner or tenant) of a commercial property there, you are not eligible to vote for a school trustee.

There are four different kinds of school boards in Ontario.

“Supporter” refers to which school board the school portion of your property taxes goes to. The default is the public school system.

English Public School Board

This is the default – unless you are qualified to vote for a separate or French board, you will vote for the English public school board in your area.

English Separate School Board

You must be Roman Catholic, and you must be a separate school board supporter or the spouse of a separate school board supporter. If your spouse is a Roman Catholic and you are not, you are not eligible.

French Public School Board

You must be a French language rights holder, and you must be a supporter (or the spouse of a supporter) of the French language public school board.

French Separate School Board

In order to be a separate school supporter you must direct your taxes to the separate school system.

 Contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (1-866-296-6722) for more information. 

In order to receive voting information and to be able to vote you must be on the Voter’s List. Since there are eligibility requirements to be able to vote, the Town cannot add someone to the list without them declaring that they meet the following requirements:

A person is entitled to vote in the Municipal Election if on Voting Day he or she,

If you are eligible to vote in 2022, please fill out, sign and return the EL15 form and provide a photocopy of your driver’s licence. One form for every eligible voter must be submitted.

Application to Amend Voters List (FORM EL15)


Members will be elected for a 4-year period.

In the 2022 election, members will be elected for a 4-year period beginning November 15, 2022 and ending November 14, 2026 for the following offices:

Town Council:

School Board Trustees:

Link to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing / Municipal Elections

Additional Resources

Candidate Contact Information

Common Voter Questions & Answers for e-Voting

Voter ID Requirements

Ontario 2022 Voters Guide

How do I vote

Internet Method: Intelivote’s Instructional YouTube video for internet voting

Telephone Method: Centre Wellington Votes: 2018 Ontario Municipal Elections-YouTube