Public Notice: Smiths Falls seeking one (1) full time Planner One (1)
The Town of Smiths Falls
Requires One (1) Full Time
Planner One (1)
The Town of Smiths Falls is a vibrant, progressive single tier municipality with a population of 9,000. One of Eastern Ontario’s most scenic communities, we are centrally located within an hour of Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville and the US border.
The Town provides a high quality and affordable life for its residents, with beautiful heritage buildings, two theatres, a charming downtown, and world-class museums and recreational facilities. Enjoy our thriving cultural scene with live music, foodie finds, a local brewery, and dozens of community events – all at the heart of the Rideau Canal, Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage site and a gateway to the region’s abundant lakes and waterways.
The Town is accepting applications for one (1) Full Time Planner One (1). Under the direction of the Senior Planner, you will form part of a team in our Planning Department.
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for reviewing and processing of development applications made under the Planning Act and other legislation, including the preparation of notices, by-laws, reports, agreements, etc.
- Prepares and presents professional planning advice, research, reports and recommendations to the Planning Advisory Committee and Council.
- Administers and enforces land use planning procedures and policies.
- Provides information, interpretation, advice and opinion regarding planning, growth and development issues to the public, agencies, municipal staff, consultants, committees and councils.
- Work with all Town departments, developers and the public to facilitate responsible growth in the Town.
- Communicate, negotiate, and work towards innovative and amicable solutions with Council, staff, development industry, external agencies, and the public throughout the entire planning process.
- Assists with the preparation of materials and other work to support the Town at court proceedings, the Ontario Land Tribunal, and other administrative tribunal hearings as required.
- Leads and/or participates on special projects including, but not limited to, research, consultation, evaluations and related activities.
- Responds to requests for information regarding planning and policy document interpretation and provide general operational support to the functioning of Planning Services.
The successful applicant will possess:
- A degree in an urban planning or related program accredited by the Canadian Institute of Planners/Ontario Professional Planners Institute and/or an appropriate combination of education and experience. A Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation from the Ontario Professional Planners Institute will be considered very favorably.
- Excellent research, analytical, organizational, time management, communication, independent decision making, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to interact harmoniously and diplomatically with the public, development industry, Town departments and elected officials.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Planning Act, other relevant statutory documents, Provincial policies, planning principles, construction related issues and budget.
- Exceptional organizational, project management, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with an ability to interact between government and the private sector.
- Must be a team player with a commitment to quality customer service;
- Proficient in Windows, Outlook and Microsoft Office applications as well as Geographic Information Systems.
- Ability to work with and contribute positively to a service oriented team.
- Ability to provide an appropriate drivers’ abstract and criminal records check upon hire, a valid Class ‘G’ Driver’s License and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
The Town of Smiths Falls has a COVID Vaccination policy and requires all staff to be fully vaccinated.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume by Friday June 3, 2022, at 4:00 p.m., to Lynda McKimm, Human Resources Advisor, Town of Smiths Falls, P.O. Box 695, 77 Beckwith Street North, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4T6 or via email at email@example.com
The Town of Smiths Falls is an equal opportunity employer, committed to ensuring all candidates are able to participate in the interview process fully and equally. If contacted for employment, please let us know if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about the collection of Information should be directed to the Clerk at the address indicated above.