Public Notice: Smiths Falls seeks part-time fire dispatcher
The Town of Smiths Falls
Requires One (1)
Part-Time Fire Dispatcher
The Town of Smiths Falls is a vibrant, progressive single tier municipality with a population of 9,000. One of Eastern Ontario’s most scenic communities, we are centrally located within an hour of Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville and the US border.
The Town provides a high quality and affordable life for its residents, with beautiful heritage buildings, two theatres, a charming downtown, and world-class museums and recreational facilities. Enjoy our thriving cultural scene with live music, foodie finds, a local brewery, and dozens of community events – all at the heart of the Rideau Canal, Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage site and a gateway to the region’s abundant lakes and waterways.
The Town is accepting applications for one (1) Part-Time Fire Dispatcher under the direction of the Fire Chief.
- Answering and dispatching calls for emergency fire resources to incidents
- Operating a computer aided dispatch and records management system
- Operating emergency radio system, multi-line 911 and administrative telephone system, GIS mapping system, along with various other systems within the fire dispatch centre
- Assess information provided by callers to correctly dispatch the required fire resources in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Work shift, including nights, weekends and holidays, as required, as the communications division is a 24/7, 365 days per year Day shifts are 10-hours shifts and night shifts are 14-hour shifts.
- Communicate clearly and precisely under demanding conditions
- Complete regular training and maintain and follow internal operating policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (SSD) or academic equivalent
- Computer proficiency in various programs, e., Work, Excel and job specific specialty programs
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience or related experience
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- NFPA 1061 – Communications Certificate, or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to quickly and accurately enter and retrieve information from the computer
- Able to extract data and prepare required reports
- Attention to detail and clarity in written communication for reporting purposes
- Strong verbal communication, effective listening skills and ability to focus to calmly and effectively perform dispatch duties in an emergency environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to work well in crisis situations
- Availability and ability to work varied shifts
- Ability to read maps, charts, engage in problem solving and provide verbal directions
- Knowledge of radio equipment protocols and operation
- Ability to be on-site within 20 minutes
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume by Friday December 17, 2021, at 4:00 p.m., to Lynda McKimm, Human Resources Advisor, Town of Smiths Falls, P.O. Box 695, 77 Beckwith Street North, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4T6 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Town has a Vaccination Policy in place and proof of vaccination is required.
The Town of Smiths Falls is an equal opportunity employer, committed to ensuring all candidates are able to participate in the interview process fully and equally. If contacted for employment, please let us know if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about the collection of Information should be directed to the Clerk at the address indicated above.