The Smiths Falls Local Immigration Partnership (LIP)
The LIP is one of 35 partnerships across Ontario designed to provide a collaborative framework to facilitate the development and implementation of sustainable solutions for the successful integration of newcomers, immigrants and refugees to Ontario that are local and regional in scope.
This Partnership meets regularly with community partners to examine services available, examine how the delivery could be enhanced, modified, or expanded to promote the long-term settlement and integration of newcomers, immigrants and refugees into the Smiths Falls area.
The partnership works to:
• Enhance the towns image and capacity as a welcoming community for newcomers, immigrants and refugees
• To strengthened local awareness and capacity to successfully integrate and retain newcomers, immigrants and refugees
• To improve access to and coordination of integration services (Education, Health, Language training, Employment, settlement and labour market integration)
• To improve labour market outcomes for newcomers, immigrants and refugees. This may include initiatives such as engagement of local employers or partnerships with local employment services
• Foster a community where the education, skills and experience of newcomers, immigrants and refugees are fully engaged to make the community economically and socially vibrant
• Support the municipalities efforts to attract, hire and retain newcomers, immigrants and refugees as valued members of the local economy
The Smiths Falls LIP is fully funded by the
Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRRC)
Smiths Falls is one of the most affordable housing markets in Lanark County. Have a look at some of our local real estate listings.
Coldwell Banker Rideau Heartland Realty Ltd
RE/MAX Affiliates Realty Ltd., Brokerage
Royal LePage Pauline Aunger Real Estate Brokerage
You will find we offer a variety of education opportunities for children and adults. In Canada kids start in kindergarten, progress through elementary, to high school, and then off to college or university. There are also a number of alternatives options as well, explore what Smiths Falls has to offer:
To welcome newcomers to Canada, many banks offer special banking packages, visit our local branches to learn more:
BMO Bank of Montreal
25 Beckwith St. South
51 Beckwith St. North
31 Beckwith St. North
94 Lombard St
TD Canada Trust
15 Beckwith St. North
Smiths Falls offers state of the art health care facilities. Learn more about the services offered in town: https://www.smithsfalls.ca/health-care.cfm
ESL (English as a Second Language)
Those wanting to improve their skills in written and spoken English are able to do so through ESL (English as a Second Language) classes taking place at the Smiths Falls Public Library. Classes our offered based on need through a partnership between the Town of Smiths Falls and TR Leger School of Adult, Alternative & Continuing Education. All classes are free and funded through the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Further information on the classes is available by contacting:
Manager of Literacy and Language Services for TR Leger